Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cyclamen coum




I have a number of cyclamen coum plants that I've selected to grow on in pots. These are from a 2005 sowing of seed from the Cyclamen Society in the UK. I've ended up with a large number of cyclamen of many species, but right now the C. coum are in bloom and are beautiful and mature looking in their fifth year. I'm showing a favourite plant that has been shown in an earlier post when it had developed into a lovely rosette of silvery leaves with distinct markings. I'm showing it again along with an image of how it looks today in full bloom.

4 comments:

Teza said...

Barry:
These are the images that I should like to accompany me on a daily basis until all of the snow has melted. They are simply stunning treasures, are they not? I must all substance to my sokitary planting this coming year. Much more delightful than the larger species that last a week and then disappear.

Barry Parker said...

They are great, aren't they. There is still one more species, Cyclamen libanoticum, that is still to bloom. I will post s picture of it when it does.

James Missier said...

..Your cyclamen look so beautiful, both the leaves & bloom.
Wonder if these are also known as cyclops - wonder why the flowers look like upside down.

Barry Parker said...

James , the petals are called reflexed when they turn back like this. There is a species of narcissus with reflexed petals and is called N. cyclamineus i.e. narcissus with cyclamen -like flowers.