Friday, February 12, 2010

Orostachys


I was so encouraged by the reaction to my posting of the Sempervivums that I thought I might show this image of a collection of Orostachys in bloom. It's not difficult to grow, in fact, it needs the same growing conditions as their cousins the Sempervivums. But I have to admit that I've never been able to grow them this well since this picture was taken three years ago. They are susceptible aphids (in the flower buds), and perhaps have to be kept drier than the Semps.

2 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, I am so glad that you have drawn my attention to these Orostachys which are, I am ashamed to say, completely unknown to me [until now]. I shall investigate them along with Eleanor's 'Green Thoughts'. Thank you for telling me of this in your comment to which I have left a brief reply.

I was most interested to learn that you are in fact Welsh and know the border country. I have many, many happy associations with that area over a number of years. You may have visited Kim Davis at Lingen Nursery from whom some of my alpine plants originated. I knew the Hortus boys, Simon and David, very well.

Barry Parker said...

I have to admit I don't know Lingen Nursery. From the Gppgle results it looks like they've moved around quite a bit recently, Hereford, Shropshire and now Wales. I'll have to look them up when I'm over there next. I've bought alpine plants (including Clematis 'Ylva') from Aberconwy Nursery in North Wales. Well worth a visit.

Orostachys don't seem to be well known in the UK ( they are not an everyday word here either. John Massey of Ashwood Nursey was quite taken with them when he visited here in 2008.

I much admire the work of the Hortus Boys, I'd love to meet them one day.