Saturday, March 6, 2010

Galanthus Everywhere



I wouldn't call myself a Galanthaphile, in fact the minute differences in the marking on Snowdrops have not caught my interest. However, I do love Snowdrops, individually and en masse. On my recent visit to Wales I had a chance to visit Clyne Gardens in Swansea, and even after a cold Winter and a late Spring, I found banks of Galanthus nivalis. I suppose this is not the Holy Grail for the the Galanthus expert, but I love the simplicity of G. nivalis, particularly seen growing in great drifts.
The Clyne Estate before it became a public garden, belonged to the Vivian family and in 1921 was inherited by Algernon "The Admiral" who had a great influence on the making of the gardens. He co-sponsered plant collecting expeditions to Asia, and many of Clyne's Rhododendrons still bear the original collectors numbers. One of the many features at the garden is a pet cemetery commemorating The Admiral's family pets. At this time of year the graves are decorated with G. nivalis.

8 comments:

kilbournegrove said...

Barry, I am sure that you wrote this post just for me, lol. I am a huge galanthus fan, in quality or quantity, I will take them any way I can get them.
How are your snowdrops xcoming along? Have you seen them blooming any where in To?

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, How delightful are your pictures of Snowdrops. I do love to see them in drifts growing naturally as you have shown. I am less certain about the window box!!

The garden you mention is completely unknown to me although I have been to Swansea several times.

I have added you as a 'Favourite' to my list on Blotanical where I notice that you are a new member. You will discover in time, I am sure, what a mixed blessing Blotanical is.

Barry Parker said...

Deborah, as a matter of fact i thought of you often, when I came across Snowdrops. In the side-bar you'll see a couple of pictures of a colony I found in a hedge in the village of Murton on the Gower Peninsula. There must have been thousands of bulbs and all of them G. nivalis 'Flore Pleno'. Somebody must have taken years to naturalize them in that spot.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith, Yes, the window box is perhaps a little folksy, but I think could be done more artfully and would allow the snowdrops to be seen more easily at eye level.

Clyne is an interesting garden,it has the national Collection of Pieris, Enkianthus and Rhododendron. Despite being cared for by the local Parks Department, it hasn't taken on too much of a municipal look.

Thanks for adding me to your 'Favourites" Not sure yet what to expect from Blotanical listing.

Bernie said...

From someone who never gets to see these beauties ... except in photos ... thanks very much for the gorgeous photos.

Jim, The Gaudy Garden said...

Hi Barry, I do not have snowdrops tho they do grow here. I loved the photo of the pet cemetery. Charming.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Bernie,
I suppose the grass is always greener etc.
I looked at your sites and was immediately envious of the wonderful plants that you can grow.
I have a similar discussion with another blogger from Malaysia, he would, of course have similar temperatures to you but high humidity and precipitation.
I guess we gardeners are endlessly curious about the plant world and want to grow everything.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Jim,
Glad you liked the Pet Cemetery, I wish I had made note of the name of all the little dogs ( maybe 12 in all). But "Saucy" had the nicest show of snowdrops, so she got most of my attention.