Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Good as Gold?



The recent article in Gardens Illustrated on Galanthus has got me inspecting my own snowdrops more carefully. Nature is always trying something new, and depending on personal taste, this can be seen as an improvement on the original or an aberration that has to be dumped as soon as possible into the compost heap.
As for Galanthus, I wonder how distinct a variation has to be before the plant is considered collectable? I've found three different markings on two clumps of G. elwesii in my garden and in another group flowers with gold markings has been produced. Only last week Helen Battersby of Toronto Gardens posted an image of a Galanthus which also had gold markings, leaving one to wonder just how unusual this phenomenon is in actuality.
I plan to enjoy my gold Galanthus, maybe bulk it up to a nice clump and think of it as something beautiiful that I found in my garden rather than a collectable, rare and unusual 'must-have'.

3 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, It is most interesting to observe differences amongst one's plants but one should not, I feel, become too preoccupied with this otherwise one is in danger of losing the simple pleasure to be had from just enjoying one's garden.

kilbournegrove said...

Galanthus "Barry's Gold" perhaps!
I just read an article in The Garden, Feb 2010 issue, about chipping your galanthus bulbs, as a way of increasing stock. Sounds difficult.
I look forward to a viewing.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith.
It would be very easy to lose sight of the woods for the trees. I hope I can enjoy both the exquisite detail of plants as well as the bigger picture the space, the light, colour texture and sense of place.

Hi Deborah,
"'Barry's Gold' seems to get greener every time I look at it. I don't think it's going to impress the dedicated galanthophile.
Chipping does sound tricky, not sure I want to risk 'Barry's Gold' to this method of propagation.