Monday, March 8, 2010

Snowdrops and the Disappearing Snow



It was 14c this afternoon in Toronto, just what was needed to open up the flowers of a couple of well established clumps of Galanthus elwesii.
I'm curious about the whole Galanthophile thing, and inspired by the photo spread in the February Gardens Illustrated, I got on my knees and checked my plants to see if there was any variance in the marking on my snowdrops.
I was surprised to find that there were in fact some difference in the markings and have selected three examples in these photographs. I find this interesting, but can't say that I'm carried away by Galanthophilism, after all many plants show variance and Nature loves to experiment with this tendency. Finally I like snowdrops en masse, although the individual flowers are great subjects for micro photography.

7 comments:

kilbournegrove said...

Even tho I like the GI issue, and would like to have a few of the named snowdrops, (especially Grumpy), I am going to go for quantity. I would like to have a few drifts like you saw in Wales.

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, Like you, I really prefer the snowdrops en masse, preferably in a naturalistic setting. I am much less concerned and interested in minute differences.

It is to my shame that I once fell asleep during a Galanthus lecture. A countless array of jam jars holding single specimens were being explained in minute and interminable detail....zzzz!

James Missier said...

Its wonderful to see flower spring out just as snow disappears - something that you see in a burst of blooms.
Do snowdrops have seeds?

Barry Parker said...

Hi Deborah,
Maybe a could find a Grumpy look-alike amongst my G. elwesii ?

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith,
Glad we agree on that. I plan to move some of my Snowdrops to create a carpet under a little Magnolia stellata later this Spring.
And like you, I often find Horticultural speakers a little hard to take. I find myself looking at the "slide list", not so much to see what interesting plants may be discussed, but to see how long the talk is likely to be.

Barry Parker said...

Hi James.
Yes, Snowdrops do set seed, they also produce small bulbs from the original plant and reproduce that way.
The exception are the double flowers which are too congested to set seed, but they too bulk up quite nicely from the production of bulblets.

Sunita said...

Barry, they're so very pretty! I've never seen snowdrops except in pictures but if I could grow them I think I would take them solo or in a whole drift. It wouldn't make a difference just so long as I could actually get them to grow and bloom for me. sigh!