Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Arum


Arum maculatum



Arum italicum 'Chameleon'



Arum italicum



Arum palaestinum


This Spring a couple of my Arums were victims of Over Planted While in Dormancy Stndrome (OPWDS). This happen when you plant or allow seed to germinate top of something else. Usually this is on top of a dormant plant which somehow you've forgotten about even though you consider it to be a little garden treasure.
Arum italicum was most affected, it had been covered with Cyclamen coum, and seedlings of Fritilaria acmopetala.and Meconopsis cambrica. The M. cambrica or Welsh Poppy were soon weeded out, but now I have to lift the Fritillaria and the Arum and give them both their own space.
The other Arum affected by OPWDS is A. palaestinum which is covered with Cyclamen hederifolium but can be easily recovered with a little surgery using my smallest trowel, Perhaps I should do this before taking my double espresso and while my hand is still steady.

4 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry,Fancy allowing your 'Lords and Ladies' Arum italicum to be usurped by commoners. And now, your garden is to resemble an operating theatre....will a little light brain surgery be next, I wonder?

You have such a wonderful plant collection, I am not surprised that space is eluding you.

bre said...

yes - STEP AWAY FROM THE ESPRESSO

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith,
I'm squeamish about blood etc, so this is the only kind of surgery I could ever consider.

I do have a lot of plants and unable to specialize in any one or two things.. I want it all!. But, I think I need to edit a bit, if only for the sake of the plants themselves. I suppose this too is a design problem, making sure that the space can support any given number of plants.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Brenda,
You know damn well I am incapable of stepping away from the espresso ( until 4.00 p.m. anyway).