Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gardens Worth Visiting, The Jarvie Garden.


Hellebore with anemone centre.



Hellebore- an apricot form.



A lovely Dicentra 'Burning Hearts' in Marion's greenhouse.


Last weekend was the start of the Open Garden season, luckily, the Jarvie Garden was open the whole weekend, so although I had my own garden open on Sunday, I had the chance to see the wonderful garden of Marion Jarvie on Saturday.
Marion was, as usually very generous with her time, even though she was besieged with visitors all of them with many questions. They were also, like me, a little overwhelmed by the variety and scope of this amazing collection of plants.
At this time of the year there were many outstanding specimens and collections, most notably were Marion's own seed grown Hellebores selected from the best plants from the best growers. The results are extraordinary and unique to this garden.

The Jarvie Garden is open from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

May 29 -30

July 24-25

September 18-19

The address: 37 Thornheights Rd., Thornhill, ON L3T 3L9

12 comments:

James Missier said...

lovely flowers..
those bleeding hearts are gorgeous

kilbournegrove said...

Barry, what a coincidence, I was just writing a post about my visit on Saturday as well, I have the very same helleborus picture. I will link to your post. Amazing garden isn't it, a shame about that huge home going in next door, it towers over the garden.
Hope Sunday was fun for you!

Barry Parker said...

HI James,

They are amazing aren't they. I'll have to find out exactly what species they are.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Deborah,

Great minds think alike. I'll look forward to seeing your take on Marion's garden.

My Open Garden was a lot of fun, lots of visitors despite the rotten weather.

Is the Wiz said...

Absolutely stunning. Also like your fritillary photo, it's very art nouveau. Was it nice having all the visitors to your garden?

Barry said...

Barry:
We're so lucky to have such wonderful gardens in our neck of the woods, and gardeners most willing to share their expertise and knowledge. I remember Marion from my LH days - quite the lady!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Is,
Charles Rennie Macintosh painted F. meleagris, didn't he?
It was a great day despite the rain and cold.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Teza,

We are lucky, but it seems to me that you too have some excellent gardeners close by. Have you been to the garden of Brian Bixley or of Liz Knowles?

Visited LH today. It's looking very good, but not really up and running. I bought Anemone nemerosa 'Bracteata Pleniflora', Clematis macropetala 'Purple Spider' and Clematis ( unlabeled but I think ) Koreana.

Is the Wiz said...

Yup, CRM did indeed do a study of fritillaries, I think it's what turned me on to them. I'm an ex Glasgow School of Art girl so he's one of my heroes.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Is,
He's one of mine too.

Crafty Gardener said...

love the hellebores, must get some for my garden
The Open Gardens is a great way to view gardens and get idea.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Crafty,
Hellebores are a must. Where do you live in Ontario? I could give you some seedlings.

Hope you can visit at my next Open Garden May 23rd.