Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Atragenes


Clematis 'Purple Spider'



Clematis 'Brunette'



Clematis koreana



The interior of Clematis koreana


The most familiar species in this group are C. alpina and C. macropetala whose charming nodding flowers are the earliest of the genus to bloom in the garden. But the others in this group are worth growing and have given rise to a number of interesting cultivars. I grow a form of C. koreana and I'm not surprised to discover in Clematis on the Web that it is one of the parents of C. 'Brunette' as there is a distinct family resemblance. I can see this at first hand as I recently bought C. 'Brunette' as well as C. 'Purple Spider' at Lost Horizons. Both plants looked vigorous, and most importantly were already in bloom, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

9 comments:

Bernie said...

This is one plant that can not grow in my corner of the world ... so I really enjoy photos on other bloggers' posts.

You do have some stunning varieties ... I particularly love the 'Purple Spider' and the koreana! Great colours.

Helen said...

The creamy or yellow edging on C. koreana is a lovely touch.

Barry said...

Barry:
C. alpina and C. macropetala are wonderful species. I am most intrigued with C. koreana - a most beguiling deep shade of pirple with the contrasting chartreuse. I might just have to plan a trip to LH when I can find transport there. [Too far on my bicycle, and worse, I know I'd end up purchasing far more than a backpack would hold!]

Barry Parker said...

Hi Bernie,
Glad to hear that you get some vicarious enjoyment through this post. Stay tuned, as this is just the beginning of the Clematis season.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Helen,

Although not as showy as some clematis,these species are more intriguing the closer you get to them.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,

Maybe there should be an organization of Gardeners Without Transport?? I seem to know a lot of gardeners who, like me, are without wheels.

If you're interested in more info on species clematis, check out "Clematis- The Genus" by Christopher Grey-Wilson and also Clematis on the Web (there's a link in this post).

bre said...

... you're talking to yourself!

Heather said...

Lovely clematis - thanks for sharing!

JavaChick said...

Much as I don't care for the name, that Purple Spider is very cool looking. Almost like an origami flower, made of paper.