Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lady Slippers


Cypripedium 'Michael' ( C. macranthos x C. henryi)



Cypripedium calceolus

It's been a long wait, but finally Cypripedium 'Michael' has settled in and is blooming annually. The first year in 2007 it had two blooms and I missed them completely as I was out of town for a few weeks. Since then it has produced more blooms every year and this season has produced bi-flowered as well as a few tri-flowered stems with a total of twelve blooms. Last year I added another hybrid, C. 'Emil' (C. parviflorum x C. calceolus). It arrived in the mail, looking a little fragile, from Fraser's Thimble Farm (as did C. 'Michael'),it survived the winter, but so far no flowers.
In the meantime I'm able to enjoy two plants of C. calceolus given to me by a generous friend, and I'm now looking forward to C. reginae, which blooms a few weeks later than the others.

8 comments:

Jan said...

Oh Barry...these are stunning, as is everything you post. Thank you so much.

Barry said...

Barry:
Now these truly are something to squeal with excitement about! Interesting you should post C. 'Michael' as this is one that I am thinking very seriously of ordering from FTF this fall. You've upped the ante for sure. Thanks for the informative post!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Jan, Thanks.
Hope to see you soon.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,

Glad you like 'Michael'. It was hybridized by German plantsman Werner Frosch. I've just found a good reference for these and other hybrids on the Plant Delights site. Some great pictures. And from these, "Maria' has now joined my must-have list.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Oh, swoon! Such lovely plants.

Barry Parker said...

Lisa and Robb,
Aren't they great.

bre said...

... if I'd seen them when I was little, I would have gotten lost in some fairy tale land and might never have resurfaced. ... good things come to those who wait!

Barry Parker said...

Brenda,
Glad you like them.