Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Going Vertical


Reinforced fence with gritty urban landscape beyond.



Bare obelisk.




Honeysuckle finally covers one of the obelisks.


I've been gardening here for the last 24 years, all the time yearning for a 'mature garden'. Well I've finally achieved that, but now I have to deal with aging infrastructure, the most worrying of which are the fences that I built in the late 80's. I know that I will eventually have to replace them, but for the time being, I'm doing all I can to make them last a little bit longer.
A few years ago I had someone reinforce the fence that separates me from my neighbour to the east, it was quite ingenuous really, 2" x 6" planks that were staggered to over the top of the fence that strengthened the weak points at the posts. It worked, but left me with this heavy horizontal, unbroken by finials or even taller trees or shrubs. Worse still, it became a runway for squirrels, racoons and neighbourhood cats. My solution was to attach three wire obelisks along the length of the fence with the idea that they would eventually be covered with wreaths of vines and break the overbearing horizontal.
It was a risky move as the obelisks themselves looked rather stark against the sky and I was forever apologizing for them fearing that people would think they were poorly conceived attempts at ornament. This year finally, one of the obelisks has been covered and achieved the hoped for effect. It is covered in honeysuckle which is now in bloom and perfumes that part of the garden.
It is my hope that the other two will be similarly covered this year if not by the next, the larger obelisk in the centre has been under-planted with another honeysuckle, as well as, several Clematis viticella and the third obelisk is under-planted with Actinidia kolomikta.

4 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, Boundaries, and their maintenance, are, I fear, a perennial problem but one which you appear to be coping with admirably. I take your point about the obelisks but I do, in fact, rather like their starkness against the skyline making them both functional and ornamental.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith, I'm afraid I've made the bare obelisks look a lot better than they are in actuality. Silhouettes can hide a host of imperfections, can't they ?

Is the Wiz said...

Dear Barry, it must be very satisfying to watch a garden develop over 24 years. I hope you'll celebrate your silver jubilee next year.

kilbournegrove said...

Barry, I saw them in real life, and I thought they were very cool as well.
I find the squirrels use a telephone wire behind our place as a tightrope, nothing seems to stop them.