Monday, August 9, 2010

Aureum, Aurea and Aureous

Abies koreana 'Aurea'



Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight'



Berberis 'Molner'



Chamaecyparis lutea



Pelargonium 'Charity'



Hosta 'May'


In June of this year I went on a bit of a shopping spree at Whistling Gardens; a sort of birthday present to myself, is how I described the purchase of four trees, Abies koreana 'Aurea', Acer campestre 'Carnival', Catalpa bignonioides ' Aurea' and Ulmus hollandica 'Aurea'.
You will notice a lot of Aurea in those names and it wasn't until I got back home that I wondered if I'd gone a little overboard on the golds. I already have Cotinus "Golden Spirit' and Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' as well as many golden leaved perennials, but I figured that since this is a city garden I am hardly creating a naturalistic landscape and feel there is still room for a little more fanciful artifice. Having decided this, I am hoping to incorporate them into my garden as part of what I am beginning to call "The Big Edit of 2010" starting in the Autumn.
I know that my fellow Ontario garden blogger Teza is also very fond of this colour, and Deborah of Kilbourne Grove also has a soft spot for Aurea, especially in the form of Hakonechloa. I wonder if there is something about the quality of light in this part of the world that makes the aureous leaved plant so irresistible?

4 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, The golden jewels you describe here look lovely. However, for me, I think one must be careful not to overdo gold lest it becomes brassy and harsh. A garden edit.....music to my ears. Be bold!!

Barry said...

Barry:
Fabulously chartreuse rules! Acer shirasiwanum is divine, and after falling for Abies koreana 'Silberfeld', I can definitely see the attraction to the one that you post here. I think so long as a garden has mysterious pockets of shade, there will always be room for Aureum, Aurea and Aureous! Be bold and behold the results!

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith,

Bold but not brassy, I think you're right. I will be ruthless!

Barry Parker said...

Dear Barry,

The Abies is lovely and has the purple cones that are typical of the species. It should be a dramatic contrast.

There is no shortage of pockets of shade in this part of Toronto, weed trees are everywhere Mulberries, Manitoba Maple and Ailianthus produce millions of seed that germinate with remarkable regularity. Fortunately I keep them at bay and benefit from the shade of my neighbours trees.