Monday, September 13, 2010

Cyclamen Time

Illustration from "Gardening" by L. Williams in the "The Hobby Books" series.

If you've followed this journal for any length of time, you'll probably know that I love Cyclamen, and that I started growing them seriously five years ago when my friend David Leeman bought seed from the Clematis Society. We had excellent germination and some fabulous plants from that sowing and in the past few years I have potted-up special plants to grow in the greenhouse as well as naturalized small colonies in the garden. I've also been able to give plants to gardening friends and introduced them to this amazing family.




In the garden I found this particularly vivid pink Cyclamen hederifolium flower. I'll keep an eye on this and maybe pot it up as a specimen plant for the greenhouse.




Of the various species that I grow, the first to bloom are C. hederifolium, C. mirabile and C.graecum. This C. hederifolium has the most lovely scent.




A selection of the C.herifolium currently in bloom.

7 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, Your Cyclamen are lovely. I have some in pots in the Alpine House, of which J is custodian, and I also like to see them at the base of trees and shrubs. I always feel that the leaves, far from being a bonus, are as much a part of the delight of these small plants as the flowers.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith, You're right, the foliage is equally fascinating as the flower on these little treasures. I think my next post will be about the foliage, Cyclamen mirabile shows both foliage and flower early in the season and C. graecum too is early to leaf out.

kilbournegrove said...

Thank you once again for the cyclamen that you gave me, I love them!!! I have at least 5 different types of leaves, they are all gorgeous.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Elke,

Thanks for your comment, not sure what happened but it didn't publish??? Perhaps I pressed the wrong button??

Barry Parker said...

Hey Deborah,
I'm so glad you're enjoying them. I hope they seed around for you.

Is the Wiz said...

Dear Barry, Another beautifully drawn illustration and of course terrific photos. I never can get C. coum to germinate, though hederifolium spreads by itself and even the florists' varieties sow themselves under the greenhouse benches where we leave plants after flowering. Maybe I should just throw them there? Help!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Isobel,

I remember we germinated all the species by folding them in damp paper towel, and leaving them in a dark place in a plastic bag. Check them regularly. I think they germinated in 2 or 3 weeks. Great fun.