Monday, October 25, 2010

The Bigger Picture

I have been so enamoured with the macro lens on my camera that I'm afraid I'm losing the bigger picture. I can't help but notice that so many of my posts are close-ups or extreme close-ups of plants, flowers and foliage and I think it's about time that I looked up and point my camera at the garden world at large.
This is a picture of my garden taken from the third floor deck. It is home in the summer to my Agave collection and so I had to lean perilously over the wicked spines in order to get this shot.



By swinging my camera to the left (east) I can take in my neighbours garden and the small park ( it's actually called a parkette). Neither of these features is particularly interesting, but I hope this illustrates that this is a very urban location, gritty, you might say.



Turning 180 degrees, I can show the roof of my house and the Honey Locust (gleditsia triancanthos) looking splendid in it's vivid Fall colour.



Looking east again you can see the relentless march of the condominiums.


Looking north/west you can see my street. With a few exceptions, my block is made up of lovely brick built Victorian houses.

8 comments:

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

Loved the aerial panorama of your garden.

sugerman said...

Oh Barry
This is just great too. I so love your posts and all the photos and the blend of book covers etc and the naming of what you are showing. They are beautifully done
thank you thank you
Jan

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, I have so enjoyed seeing these bird's eye views of your garden and neighbourhood. They have given me a real sense of the style of your garden and the locality in which you live. A sense of place no less!!

Your garden is beautifully designed. I love how it is divided up with only so much on view at any one time. This creates a sense of mystery and a desire to explore further. I slso love the way you have open spcaes of green to create calm amongst the busy, overflowing borders and strong 'bones' of clipped evergreens to hold the structure together. Lovely!!

Barry said...

Barry:
I too find myself breathing down the stems of my plants! I am surprised at the actual size of your property.It is amazing what you have done with your space. It wasn't until I cut back most of the plants in the garden, did I realize that I have more space than I thought! Thanks for giving us the full 360!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Allen,
Thanks for the comment. Hope you can drop by for a visit next time you're in Toronto.

Barry Parker said...

Dear jan,
Thanks, and I hope to be posting more often now that the season is drawing to an end.

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith,
Thank you so much for your comments. This garden is now 24 years old under my stewardship and the original design has stood up pretty well to the passage of time.
Time has also wreaked havoc with many of the structures, such as fences gates etc., but slowly these problems are sorted out (or ignored). Time has also wreaked havoc on my knees, and I'm not sure at this stage whether this can be sorted or ignored.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
I am lucky to have such a large garden in the middle of the city ( I'm also lucky enough to have the use of a neighbours garden to grow vegetables).

But next year we must exchange garden visits. Perhaps in the early Spring before you start back on your nursery work?