Monday, October 11, 2010

Clematis rehderiana

The nodding campanulate flowers of Clematis rehderiana.


In its new location my C. rehderiana has found a new lease on life.


I am finally able to enjoy Clematis rehderiana. For years it languished, in what was obviously the wrong place of the garden, it never flowered and produced only a few vines and unattractive leaves.
This Spring I decided to dig it out and throw it on the compost, but when I lifted it with a fork I discovered a very healthy looking root system. Taking pity on the plant decided to give it another chance and re-planted it on a west facing fence and from there it really took off. It obviously enjoys this cool Fall weather and has bloomed steadily for the last three weeks and shows no sign of stopping.
The weather forecast for the next two weeks ( should we believe them?) predicts night time temperatures of 5C and higher, so the frost, that would surely be the downfall of C. rehderiana, is still a while away. And I am hoping that the fabulous Fall weather that we are experiencing now continues until then.

6 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, I once tried this Clematis and, like you, found it to be a weak and sickly plant. However, I did not give it a second chance and, on reading this account of your experience, I rather now wish that I had. Its buttery bells are adorable!

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith, This has been a good lesson for me.
I'm very easily persuaded to give the poor performers the old heave-ho, perhaps influenced by Lady N, who was as you know, a ruthless weeder-outer.

Elsie Xie said...

I'm visualising the floral bells nodding in the breeze - must be a delightful sight to behold.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Elsie,

They are beautiful. They are supposed to be fragrant, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Barry said...

Barry:
Buttery yellow and bell shaped..... is there anything more exquisite where Clematis are concerned? I am so glad that you had a change of heart!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
I'm very glad also. It's been such a treat to have something in bloom this late in the season.