Monday, November 22, 2010

The Late Show

It has been an unusually long Autumn and a beautiful one too. Tonight we have a low of 11C, positively balmy for this part of the world, and yet it all comes to an end very soon and if the weather channel is to be believed, in 24 hours the temperature will plummet to a chilly 4C and on the night after that a frigid 0C. There also seems a chance of snow on Friday, which I think must be the end of this wonderful long run of weather.
However it does look like we have a few mild days that will allow us to enjoy our gardens even this late in the year. Today there were many plants still looked very fine, some flourishing in the cool weather that suits them best, the Cyclamen, Heuchera and Arums seem particularly happy right now.
Then there are others that have been transformed by the short days and cold nights and have taken on the vivid colours we associate with Fall. There were surprises also, a dwarf Thalictrum only 8" high and growing in a trough, has turned a pale yellow and Cornus sanguinea 'Compressa' has turned its usual purple, but only on the leaves facing the sun, the rest of the leaves have faded to a contrasting lime green.


Dwarf Thalictrum species


Cornus sanguinea 'Compressa'


Cyclamen coum


Cyclamen hedereifolium


Heuchera seedling


Hydrangia quercifolia


Epimedium grandiflorum 'Red Queen'


Arum italicum 'Chameleon'


Acer palmatum seedling

6 comments:

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Mmm, beautiful pictures.. I love the colors of the leaves.

Barry Parker said...

Thank you Ds,

It was difficult to narrow it down to the ones I selected, there was so much of interest to choose from.

Edith Hope said...

Dear Barry, What a lovely view you show through your kitchen window. You must have been spoiled for choice about what to feature in this posting since, clearly, your garden is full of the most beautiful autumn colour. The Thalictrum is, I agree, particularly dramatic!

Barry Parker said...

Dear Edith,
I know that the kitchen is not one of your favourite rooms, but I spend a lot of time at the kitchen counter reading, writing and even sowing seed in the winter months.
I'm glad that you've commented on the Thalictrum, it certainly is dramatic ( I think one of your essential "D's" of gardening), but also pleasantly surprising, as I can't remember it taking on this colour before.

Barry said...

Barry:
And whilst your Thalictrum is showing its fall colours, mine have all decided with the warmer weather to initiate new growth! Do you know the cultivar that you post about? While I love the towering beauties, I also find the diminutive ones particularly appealing. You have a wonderful view from the kitchen window.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
This a is actually a second growth for this little Thalictrum, I chopped it back in late summer and it bounced back again and even bloomed a second time!
I don't know which species it is ( I got it from Maria Galletti some years ago, and I'm not sure that she knew its real name either). I notice that Larry has a dwarf form called T. minus which may well be the same plant.

I love my view, and I hope you'll be able to see it for yourself next year. We really must organize visits to each others garden.