Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Agave Hedgehogs

We tend to think of Agave as the broad leaf beauties with multiple spikes that attain almost architectural presence in our garden landscape and containers. But there are many species with slightly different structures that are made up of long tubular leaves ending in a single spike.
I am fond of this group (perhaps to make up for the pet hedgehog denied me in my childhood), they are charming as single specimens in pots , but also I think would be very attractive grown in small groups. Certainly this little group of three different species look most harmonious on my kitchen windowsill.


Agave stricta 'Nana'. I've just read that the common name for this species is actually the Hedgehog Agave. This is the diminutive form of Agave stricta, I'm particularly proud of this as I grew it from seed.


Agave geminiflora. In some pictures I've seen of this species, the leaves have filaments, but this seems to only appear on older plants. I also noticed that plants produce a trunk as they mature, and since I've just replanted this specimen lower in the pot to cover this up, I wonder if I've made a mistake?


Agave X leopoldii is a garden hybrid of A. filifera and A. schidigera, which explains the abundance of filaments that it inherits from both parents. This is a rescue plant from the horticultural killing fields of Home Depot. I was lucky enough to get it before it was allowed to decay along with the rest of "the product" on the shelves of the Houseplant Dept.

2 comments:

Delphine said...

Aïe aïe aïe !!!

Barry Parker said...

Tres dangereux, mais charmer!