Monday, February 7, 2011

John Dillwyn Llewelyn

John Dillwyn Llewelyn was a photography pioneer and a botanist. It is therefore not surprising then, that many of his photographic subjects were plants and flowers. He also photographed the Gower coast and other landscapes in Swansea, South Wales, including his estate Penllergaer.
This is all very familiar to me as I was born in Swansea and spent the first 21 years of my life there. As children we used to play in Penllagaer woods which was at that time overgrown and neglected and considered a dangerous place by our parents, which made it an even more irresistible a place to explore.

John Dillwyn Llewelyn. This and the following pictures are in the Collection of the Swansea Museum Library.

Foxgloves and Ferns. For this post I've chosen to show cut flowers arranged in vases, but there are many other plants shown growing in situ in his garden and in the wild.


Chrysanthemums.


Waterlilies.


Anenomes.


Roses in a Portland Vase.


Dahlias.

3 comments:

gardenbre said...

... when I grow up I wanna BE that ol'lady!

I wonder if everyone has wonderful memories of going into deep dark dank forests to play. Where were our parents?

jaidens petals/cindiloowho said...

these are absolutely lovely photographs...

Barry Parker said...

Hi Brenda and Dani,

Glad to hear that you both enjoyed the JDL photo's... they are very special to me as they show many places that are familiar to me from my childhood. In many of the shots, the landscape is practically unchanged.