Sunday, February 20, 2011

Narcissus asturiensis

I've had these lovely little bulbous plants for several years, but I've never been able to grow them successfully. The problem was that I tried to grow them in the ground and inevitably their diminutive scale was lost in the bigger landscape and tiny flowers, so close to the ground, would be splashed with mud after rain. This summer I dug them up by mistake and I decided then and there that they should be potted up and grown on in the greenhouse. Only three bulbs survived this and only two bloomed, but what an exciting occasion this has been in the greenhouse in the middle of February.


The Narcissus a few days ago, just about to open.


This picture will give you some idea of the scale of these plants.


In the next day or two I will be sure to pollinate these flowers and hope to collect seed later in the Spring.

6 comments:

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Narcissus.. they have really beautiful flowers))

Barry said...

Barry:
What diminutive darlings they are! A wonderful burst of brightness! I enjoyed your foliage combo that Marjorie has on her weblog this week! I shall have to move one of my Baptisia's closer to Cotinus 'Grace' as it is a really beautul duo! Batten down the hatches, I see another sotrm warning is posted for today and this evening!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Ds,

Narcissus are one of my favourites, especially these small species types.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,

One can easily get addicted to these little species narcissus. I will email you a link to the autumn bulb list for Broadleigh Gardens just to get you primed for the Spring ( as if you need it).
I hope you'll send an interesting combo to Marjorie, she'd really appreciate it.

Another false alarm from the weatherman, I hope we are not getting into a 'cry wolf' situation.

David Leeman said...

......some real gems for the winter greenhouse,,,,,,,

Barry Parker said...

Hi DL,

There's a lot more to come. Checking the greenhouse today, I noticed many things stirring, even plants that I've ignored all winter.