Friday, March 25, 2011

It Might as Well be Spring

Lulled into a false sense of security,I was sure that it was just a matter of time before we'd see the weather get warmer and that the Galanthus , Crocus and Eranthis that were already in bloom, would be joined by the usual procession of Spring flowers.
We are, after all, in the banana-belt of Southern Ontario and are used to a relatively early Spring. However we were surprised on Wednesday by a late and quite fierce storm that dumped 14cm of snow and left us in frigid sub-zero temperatures.
It's continued to be cold, but very sunny and clear and as a result, a great deal of the snow has melted.
Today I saw that a number of the Spring bulbs have re-appeared through the surface of the snow and I hope will quickly re-assert themselves into the garden landscape as the weather( surely) improves.

Crocus tommasinianus

Eranthis, Crocus and Galanthus.

7 comments:

kilbournegrove said...

I really, really, hope that I am not going to miss everything!
I need spring.

Barry said...

Barry:
Indeed, the recent return of old man winter left me scowling, but today there is considerably less snow. Now if only the temp would rise as well!

CallieK said...

Love the crocus peeking out of the snow!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Deborah,

This cold snap and snowstorm has certainly slowed things down. Hang in there, Spring is yet to come.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
You're right the snow was quick to come and is now disappearing with the same speed. It looks like we have a gradual temperature rise as the week progresses.

Barry Parker said...

Hi CallieK,
They are amazingly tough, aren't they.

StoriestoLast said...

Hi Barry,

Searching online, I ran across your photo of the crocus in the snow. I'd like to use it for a cover of a self-published book, crediting you as the photographer inside the book. Would that be alright with you?

contact me at linda - at - stories to last.com

If we have your permission, I could use it in a larger resolution, if you have it.

Thanks!
Linda