Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Garden Visiting

I was looking for an image to accompany the announcement of the dates for my Open Gardens and found this picture of Margery Fish ( with her back to the camera), the caption read "A tour of the 1/4 acre garden with her could take up to five hours".

I'm often disappointed at how little time some visitors take when they visit my garden and love it when others stay for an hour or so with lots of questions and observations. I think five hours might be excessive, but hopefully Mrs Fish did stop for tea at some point.

My garden will be open as part of Open Gardens Toronto on April 24th from 1.00 to 4.00p.m., and on the following dates this Summer and Fall: June 12th, July 10th and October 16th, all these dates fare Sundays and from 1.00 to 4.00 p.m.

Margery Fish showing her visitors around her garden in East Lambrooke Manor in Somerset. This photograph by Valerie Finnis is from Garden People by Ursula Buchan, a wonderful book on the photography of Valerie Finnis.

6 comments:

ellieT said...

I really like your updated "homepage" image!

Janet said...

Marjorie Fish is one of my favourite woman gardeners. We visited East Lambrook Manor a few years back. What a treat!

Barry Parker said...

Hi EllieT,

Those hellebores are certainly easy on the eye, aren't they.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Janet,

If you haven't already sen them, you'll enjoy the pictures of MF in this book.

Barry said...

Barry:
This looks like another potential addition to the horticultural library. Is this the same Ursula that Athyrium 'Ursula's Red' is named after I wonder? I believe that it is. How would you describe her writing style?

Barry Parker said...

Hi BarryT,
Not sure how to describe the writing style, but I can tell you that this book is a collection of Valerie Finniss' photographs and is subtitled 'Valerie Finnis and the Golden Age of Gardening'. It is also a biography of VF.
Ursula Buchan is apparently the author of 14 books including "Gardening for Pleasure", "Plants for all Seasons" and 'Good in a Bed and Better Against a Wall" !!??