Friday, July 1, 2011

Digitalis

I recently resolved that, in my garden making efforts, I would concentrate more on design and less on plantsmanship, but when Digitalis obscura, opened this week, I couldn't resist compiling a list of the other species I have growing in the garden.
I also remembered a print that I have of John Dillwyn Llewelyn's "Foxgloves and Ferns" and I have added that to the list.


Foxgloves and Ferns by John Dillwyn Llewelyn

D. obscura

D. purpurea

D. lutea

D. grandiflora

Hybrid of D. lutea and grandiflora ?

4 comments:

gardenmad said...

I love digitalis, and always try and get it to seed in my yard. When you get a whole bunch throughout the garden, it looks like one big party!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Lynne,
They are wonderful, and I'm happy they seed around (only one D. purpurea this year).
But it can get too much if not carefully edited, one of the Toronto Botanical Gardens areas was overwhelmed by Digitalis last year and ended up looking rather unkempt.

Barry said...

Barry:
I remember having a wonderful D. grandiflora 'Alba' four years ago that was a striking specimen plant, only to disappear and not set seed. I have been looking for a wonderful new one, D. 'Glory of Roundway' an apparent cross of D. lutea and D. mertonensis - from the famed 'Mr. Foxglove - Terry Baker, owner of Botanic Nursery in Wiltshire, home of the National collection of Digitalis.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,

I've not heard of Terry Baker, but will look him up on the internet. Let me know if you find "Glory of Roundway'. It sounds interesting.