Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Away on Vacation

I leave today on a 5 week vacation to South Wales and English Border Counties. I will be visiting friends, family and the spectacular gardens in that area. The gardens will include the National Botanic Garden of Wales, Aberglasney House and Gardens, Powis Castle Garden and on the other side of the border, Hidcote Manor Garden. I will also be attending the Abergyvenny Food Festival in mid September.
For the first half of the month I will be staying in a little row house in the village of Mumbles ( now really a suburb of Swansea). I'm posting here two images of Mumbles seen from the vantage point of Oystermouth Castle. The first is a drawing made in the 19th Century and the second a postcard from the early 20th century; it's much more built up now but still recognizable.
I'm not sure if I'll be posting during this time, but I will, no doubt, be coming back with lots of pictures and stories to tell.

19th Century image showing Newton Road running off to the right. That's where I'll be staying.
Early 20th century postcard of Mumbles from the same vantage point.

2 comments:

kilbournegrove said...

Sorry, we were not able to get together this trip, but look forward to seeing each other in the spring. Enjoy your trip, lookinf forward to reading all about it.
Deborah xo

Barry Parker said...

Hi Deborah,
Yes, that's too bad. However it'll be great to see you in the Spring. Have a good visit.