Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Seed Starting

Over the course of this Summer and Fall, I have collected seed from many plants that have taken my fancy. I am particularly fond of the family Geraniaceae ( have I mentioned this before?) and since I've come across a number of interesting species Pelargoniums, these have, so far, been my main preoccupation. They are the first seed I sowed this year and they are very rewarding as they give instant gratification, germinating in a matter of days.

Clearing away the casing of this Pelargonium species resulting in...

...seven plump seeds.

A few days later, species Pelargonium breaking the surface of the growing medium.

Pelargonium seedling showing the start of secondary leaves.

Geranium sanguineum seedling germinating in about the same amount of time.

2 comments:

Lona said...

You are getting a head start on your seeds Barry. I love pelargoniums and start a few new ones every winter. I also hold a few of the favorites in the basement over the winter. Your seedlings are looking good.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Lona,

I noticed that some self sown seed was coming up in the pots of some of my plants in the greenhouse, so I thought the time was right to get started. I'm wintering some of my Pelargoniums in the basement also, both species and hybrids.

I'll try to update the progress of these seedlings in future posts.