Saturday, February 18, 2012

Geranium sanguineum 'Cedric Morris'

Geranium sanguineum 'Cedric Morris'
I have a soft spot for any plant called Cedric Morris, the gentle Welsh artist and gardener, who through careful observation of plants, collected and selected many of the plants we still cultivate in our gardens , many of them bearing his name.
One of these is a 'must have' for me, and although not the most exotic, it has the most intimate associations.
Geranium sanguineum 'Cedric Morris' is a particularly large flowering form of its kind and was collected by Cedric on the Gower Peninsula in South Wales.
This is my home turf and when visiting this Fall, I followed in his footprints and collected a few seeds from some of the G. sanguineum growing in the sand dunes of Broughton Bay near the little village of Llangennith.


My G. sanguineum seedlings from seed collection.


My friends who live near Broughton Bay only recently noticed that it was their house in the middle distance of Cedric's "Llanmadoc Hill" and this makes me think that this may well be the place that Cedric found his G. sanguineum when he painted in this landscape in 1928.

"Llanmadoc Hill" painted by Cedric Morris in 1928.


My friends house in the Broughton Bay area. ( Photo by Graham Mathews).




2 comments:

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

Geranium Cedric Morris has a beautiful flower. I hope that you will write about it again.

Barry Parker said...

You're right Allen, Cedric Morris, the flowers and the person are topics for future posts.