Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhogs? Humbug!

In 2003 I bought my first copy of Margeret Bennet-Alder's 'The Toronto Gardener's Journal and Source Book'. It is an informative publication and in particular I found the charts in the inside covers very useful.
The inside front cover has a weekly count down to the usual last frost for Toronto, which at this time is eleven weeks away on April 20th.
This may astound many local gardeners who stick to the old-school idea that the gardening season starts on May 21st. This is ridiculous, of course, as most of the Spring flowers have finished by then, no more Narcissus, Galanthus or early Tulips and the Hellebores are past their best.

4 comments:

Garden muses said...

Hi Barry,

I've always wondered why "May 21" or "May Two-Four" weekend is the magical day/s bandied about. Maybe it coincides with the first truckload of geraniums and begonias to be unloaded at big box stores to the public, lol?

CallieK said...

I always use May 9 (I think that came from Gayla) but I like your date better!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Paul,

I think you may be right there. But what a lot of exciting gardening people are missing.

Barry Parker said...

Hi CallieK,

I'm sure Gayla is right for more tender things like tomatoes etc. But there is a lot going on much earlier than that. My witch-hazel is in full bloom right now!