Friday, May 25, 2012

Poppies

I was about to call this post "Poppy Time" when I was reminded by my copy of Poppies by Christopher Grey-Wilson, that the Papaveraceae family have been around in the garden for months.
Stylophorum lasiocarpum flowered weeks ago and even its foliage will soon disappear for a lengthy dormancy until next Spring. Sanguinaria canadensis is another early blooming Papaveraceae, but its beautiful foliage remains until the Fall.



But now is the time of the early Spring and Summer poppies, today Papaver orientale opened. These are plants that I grew from seed many years ago, but they are poorly located, impossible to move and tend to over-whelm the plants surrounding them, however I've learnt to live with them and to enjoy the short but spectacular show.

The buds of P.orientale are a beautiful sight in themselves.

The buds open suddenly to satiny cups full of purple/blue pollen.

Today the first Eschscholtzia californica opened, but I'm still waiting for my favourite creamy white ones to open in the hot section of my back garden.

The double form of Papaver altlantcum is always reappearing in the garden, it is a prolific self seeder and always welcome.

The orange-flowerd form of the Welsh Poppy, Meconopsis cambricum var. aurantiaca.

Meconopsis cambricum in its more common form.

Glaucium (corniculatum?) is a big favourite in my neighbourhood, a good thing too as it is a prolific self-seeder.

1 comment:

Casa Mariposa said...

I love poppies, especially the California poppies. They remind me of CA, where I grew up. Celandine poppies showed up in my garden this spring. It was a wonderful surprise. :o)