Thursday, October 18, 2012

Falling in Love Again.

It has been a long, hot summer and during that time, I fell out of love with a number of plants that, despite being given lots of extra care and gallons of water , never looked their best. 
The japanese maples were amongst these, and in fact, they looked so miserable that I had plans to get rid of the majority of them in the Fall. 
Now of course, having survived the heat of Summer, they are at their best producing brilliant colour as the days shorten and the nights get colder. Well, now everything is forgiven and I chide myself for forgetting how wonderful these trees are in Autumn and Spring.
One thing I have noticed is that the japanese maples I have that are grown from seed and therefore growing on their own roots, are generally more robust than the named varieties that are grown on grafts. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?
These two Japanese maples have finally come into their own.
 On the left is A. japonicum 'Atarii' and on the right, A. shirasawanum 'Aureum'.

A. shirasawanum 'Aureum' , close-up view from above.

A close-up of the leaves of A. japonicum 'Atarii'

5 comments:

Barry said...

Barry:
Interesting. I stumbled across as A.s 'Aureum' at the nursery that had obviously been grafted onto an unidentified A.palmatum..... it made for an interesting specimen for a time, but I finally removed the errant A.palmatum. I adore A.s - but it really isn't considered a Japanese maple is it? I find it much hardier than most of the A.palmatum species that people go gaga for.

Paul Jung said...

Hi Barry,

my "Seiryu" crisped up significantly in July, limped along, and now is starting to shine. I don't think I could ever "shovel prune" any Acer palmatum. You're right about the species seedlings being more vigorous than the cultivar, which I guess is the reason Acer palmatum is the understock.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
When I say japanese maples I mean to say all Acers of Japanese origin, japonicum, shiraswaanum and palmatum ( I'm sure there are more).
Interesting to hear A. s. is more robust as mine too fared a lot better this Summer.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Paul,

Interesting to hear that you find seedlings more vigorous.

Helen said...

Barry, I've been mulling a post I'd title "Hooked on anthocyanins!" Those fall reds make my blood race.