Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Tale of Two Gardens

Toronto is one of many cities renowned for its cultural diversity,that is to say it is a city which has been settled by people who , like me, have come from other parts of the world.
I live and walk through a neighbourhood with such a diverse mix of cultures and find that certain attitudes survive and are evident in the way people present themselves via the appearance of their  property. These two gardens are made by immigrants from two great Asian nations of the world, with two very definite aesthetics.

Never the twain shall meet.

An  exuberant mix of
perennials, shrubs and trees. 

Complete control and orderliness.

4 comments:

Paul Jung said...

Barry,

at the risk of alienating my Chinese friends and family members, I think the all-turf garden belongs to a Chinese homeowner. To add to the political incorrectness, I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have any winter melon vines growing on a home-made trellis. Don't flame me people, I'm Chinese, lol!

Barb-Central Texas said...

I can't guess where they're from, but the garden on the left is certainly a lot more interesting.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Paul, I admire both these cultures and in fact have lived in both for some time. I hope this doesn't sound too judgemental, but I couldn't help commenting on these happily coexisting neighbours. I've deleted the last sentence on the advise of a friend, but can't imagine anyone being offended by my observation.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barb,
I agree with you , but I can't help admiring the determination of the neighbours on the right to be in complete control. It's also good to have neat and clean living people next door.