Friday, March 1, 2013

The Eccentrics

A few weeks ago my friend Gayla wrote about the fascination she has with odd looking plants. She spoke specifically about the Euphorbia family, but I know that, like me, her interest spreads many other genera that seem to enjoy experimenting with their own shape and form.  There are many reasons for these changes from the norm, but I like to think of these differences as Nature's attept to try something new.
An Opuntia with wavy pads,
 that give it the look of a Frank Gehry building.

Opuntia subulata cristata.

Close-up of Opuntia subulata cristata.

 Agave potatorum 'Shoji- Raijin'.

A fasciated Echeveria agavoides with a  wavy band of congested leaves.

A close-up of the same Echeveria.

Fasciated form of Echerveria runyonii ''Topsy Turvy'

Fasciated form of Pachyphytum.

5 comments:

Paul Jung said...

Hi Barry,

some of the Echeveria remind me of sea urchins, which is ironic to me, as E. is a drought tolerant succulent.

By the way, if the title of your posts refers to bloggers like Gayla and yourself, count me in! Perfect symmetry gets to be tiring after a while, both in gardens and for human beings, lol...

Barry Parker said...

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that you are also a lover of the wild and weird of the plant world.

Joon Park said...

Hello Barry,

I watched your wonderful "Echeveria agavoides crested." Do you have any available Echeveria agavoides crested for sale? Please let me know if you have any availability.

Thank you
Joon
mjpark1015@gmail.com

Barry Parker said...

Hi Joon,

It was a complete fluke that I found this plant. It was in among a tray of "normal" succulents. So I'm not sure what to suggest except keeping an eye open for fasciation in plants for sale.

Joon Park said...

Hi Barry,

Thanks for replying.
If you are okay, I would like to purchase the plants even they looks different.
Can you send me current pictures of Echeveria Agavoides Crest?

Thank you
Joon
mjpark1015@gmail.com